Healthdirect Free Australian health advice you can count on.

Medical problem? Call 1800 022 222. If you need urgent medical help, call triple zero immediately

healthdirect Australia is a free service where you can talk to a nurse or doctor who can help you know what to do.

beginning of content

Psychologists and psychology

3-minute read

If you are unhappy, stressed, confused or finding it difficult to cope, then seeing a psychologist might help. Knowing what psychologists do and how to get the right psychologist for you is a good first step.

What is a psychologist?

Psychologists are experts in human behaviour. They have studied how the mind works and how people think, react and behave.

Psychologists usually have a 4-year university degree in arts or science with an emphasis on psychology. After university, they typically complete a further 2 years of education and training to obtain 'general registration'.

General registration as a psychologist enables someone to work in areas of psychology in which they are competent and use the title 'Psychologist'. Some psychologists choose to complete further training to become endorsed in specific areas of psychology, such as clinical psychology.

Unlike psychiatrists, psychologists cannot prescribe medication. Learn more about the differences between a psychiatrist and a psychologist here.

Your doctor can refer you to a psychologist who will let you know what is the best treatment for you. If you are a child’s parent or the carer of a child who needs treatment by a psychiatrist or a psychologist, they will work with you and other health professionals.

Practising psychologists must be registered with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA). You can check this at the AHPRA website.

What do psychologists do?

Clinical psychologists work in areas such as schools, hospitals, community health services, courts, prisons, businesses and private practices.

They may specialise in helping children, teenagers or families. More information about the types of psychologists is available on the Australian Psychological Society (APS) website.

You might visit a psychologist for help with problems such as:

A psychologist can also help you deal with challenges you may face in life such as:

What should I ask a psychologist?

Before you start seeing a psychologist, have a short chat with them on the phone. Talk about how you feel, and how you would like to feel. Ask them about their experience working with people like you and in your situation. Ask them what type of therapy they usually offer, and think about whether or not it suits you.

Other questions to ask may include:

  • How can you help me?
  • How many sessions do I need?
  • How often do I need to see you?
  • How much do you charge?

What are the costs and subsidies involved?

If you see your doctor, they might refer you to a psychologist with a mental health treatment plan. If so, Medicare covers some or all of the costs. You can see a psychologist without a mental health treatment plan, but Medicare doesn’t help with the fees.

Private health insurance may not cover costs. If you have private health insurance, speak to your doctor or psychologist about what is covered.

You can find out more about costs, including Medicare rebates, on the APS website or get more information here about low cost or free mental health services.

How to find a psychologist

You can find a psychologist by using the APS search engine, or a clinical psychologist by using the Australian Clinical Psychology Association’s search directory. Your GP may also be able to suggest a psychologist that may suit you and your needs.

You can also search for mental health services using the healthdirect service finder, or read more about where to get help with mental health here.

More information

The Black Dog Institute website has lots of information on getting help.

Beyond Blue has information about different types of treatment for depression.

Learn more here about the development and quality assurance of healthdirect content.

Last reviewed: October 2019

Back To Top

Need more information?

These trusted information partners have more on this topic.

Top results

Psychologist: parent & kids guide | Raising Children Network

Your child might see a psychologist for help with learning, behaviour, emotions, mental health or wellbeing. Read how psychologists work with children.

Read more on website

Psychologists & other therapists - BluePages

Non-medical professionals can provide help for depression, including psychologists, mental health social workers, counsellors and mental health nurses.

Read more on e-hub Web Services - Australian National University (ANU) website

Psychiatrists and psychologists: what's the difference? | Your Health in Mind

Many people get psychiatrists and psychologists confused. But there are some important differences.

Read more on RANZCP - The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists website

Psychologists | ReachOut Australia

Psychologists provide therapy to help people overcome emotional and behavioural difficulties. Find out the benefits, what it's like and how to make an appointment here.

Read more on website

What to expect when you see a psychologist - ReachOut Parents

If you're doing some research before deciding whether to seek professional help or not, this explanation from psychologist Clare Rowe clarifies why seeing a psychologist is helpful in improving mental health.

Read more on website

Who can help with depression? | Your Health in Mind

The people who can treat you for depression include GPs, psychologists and psychiatrists.

Read more on RANZCP - The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists website


Self-help resources for depression, written by clinical psychologists.

Read more on Centre for Clinical Interventions website

CCI - Panic Disorder Self-Help Resources

Self-help resources for panic, written by clinical psychologists.

Read more on Centre for Clinical Interventions website

CCI - Disordered Eating Self-Help Resources

Self-help resources for addressing disordered eating, written by clinical psychologists.

Read more on Centre for Clinical Interventions website

CCI - Social Anxiety Self-Help Resources

Self-help resources for addressing social anxiety, written by clinical psychologists.

Read more on Centre for Clinical Interventions website

Healthdirect 24hr 7 days a week hotline

24 hour health advice you can count on

1800 022 222

Government Accredited with over 140 information partners

We are a government-funded service, providing quality, approved health information and advice

Australian Government, health department logo ACT Government logo New South Wales government, health department logo Northen Territory Government logo Government of South Australia, health department logo Tasmanian government logo Government of Western Australia, health department logo