Good mental health increases your enjoyment and appreciation of all aspects of life, and improves your ability to cope with life’s challenges.
Looking after your mental health is as important as looking after your physical health. Many people are affected by a mental health issue, and seeking help and support is vital.
Mental health refers to your sense of wellbeing and your ability to function both intellectually and emotionally in a positive way. It means being able to form positive relationships, reaching your potential and dealing with life’s challenges.
A number of factors can negatively affect your mental health, including:
- alcohol or drug abuse
- how you think, such as having constant negative thoughts and low self-esteem
- biological factors, such as genetics, hormones and chemistry
- social factors, such as financial stress, family or relationship issues, or feeling isolated
Ways to support and maintain good mental health include:
- exercising regularly
- eating a healthy diet
- socialising with friends and family
- looking for help when you need it
There are also online resources that can provide more tips for good mental health.
It’s very important to seek help and support for mental health issues. They are real health concerns, and are common, so you are not alone. There is a lot of support available for people who are having a hard time.
Last reviewed: September 2015