What is self talk?
Self talk is the way you talk to yourself. You might not be aware that you’re doing it, but you almost certainly are.
You probably do it unconsciously.Self talk is important because it has a big impact on how you feel and what you do.
How can self talk affect your mental health?
If you mainly think negatively about yourself, you will feel bad most of the time. This can drag you down or if you’re down, it can be hard to get back up.
But if you mainly think positively about yourself, you will feel good more of the time. Research shows that positive self talk can:
- improve self-esteem, stress management and wellbeing
- reduce any symptoms of depression, anxiety and personality disorders
- improve your body image and can help treat people with eating disorders.
- reduce your risk of self-harm and suicide.
Tips to stop negative self talk
There are many common ways people use negative self talk. To break that cycle:
- be aware of what you’re saying to yourself (often it’s negative)
- ask yourself - is it true? (often it’s not)
- put your thoughts into perspective (so what?)
- then ask yourself - what is a more helpful thought?
It can take some time to recognise your negative thoughts, remember they have been part of you for a long time and it can take up to 3 months to change old habits.
Tips to improve positive self talk
Practice thinking good things about yourself. Very simply, practice seeing half a glass as being half-full, rather than half-empty.
Identify your strengths as part of your self talk, and accept compliments for what you achieved. A helpful way to improve positive self talk is to look, think and act in a positive way.
Last reviewed: December 2015