Having lupus may mean making key decisions about your lifestyle.
Most people with lupus, with effective treatments and the decision to follow a healthy lifestyle, are able to manage the disease and enjoy a good quality of life.
The lifestyle that works best for people with lupus includes:
- getting plenty of rest
- avoiding and managing stress
- regular moderate exercise (without becoming too tired)
- avoiding triggers such as to much time in the sun and always using sun protection
- taking note of things in your diet that may trigger a flare up, such as alfalfa, tomatoes, potatoes or corn. It is important to eat a healthy diet containing all of the food groups
- avoiding contact with people with infections
- quitting smoking, if you smoke
- drinking alcohol in moderation, if you drink.
Other ways to manage lupus include:
- being well informed about lupus
- working closely with your treating doctors
- always taking your medications as instructed
- joining a support group .
Last reviewed: November 2016