Having lupus may mean making key decisions about your lifestyle.
Most people with lupus, with effective treatments and the decision to follow a healthy lifestyle, are able to manage the disease and enjoy a good quality of life.
The lifestyle that works best for people with lupus includes:
- getting plenty of rest
- avoiding and managing stress
- regular moderate exercise (without becoming too tired)
- work out what triggers your lupus so you can avoid it. Common triggers include being stressed, too much sun, having a cold or eating foods like alfalfa, tomatoes, potatoes or corn
- eating a healthy diet containing all of the food groups
- avoiding contact with people with infections
- quitting smoking, if you smoke
- drinking alcohol in moderation, if you drink
Other ways to manage lupus include:
- being well informed about lupus
- working closely with your treating doctors
- always taking your medicines as instructed
- joining a support group
Learn more here about the development and quality assurance of healthdirect content.
Last reviewed: August 2018