Making lifestyle changes is the most effective way to prevent having a heart attack (or having another heart attack).
There are many areas of your life you can modify to reduce the risk of having heart attacks (as well as strokes):
- quit smoking
- eat a healthy, balanced diet and enjoy a variety of nutritious foods
- manage your blood cholesterol levels
- try to keep your blood pressure at a healthy level
- manage your diabetes
- stay physically active and exercise regularly
- maintain a healthy weight
- drink alcohol in moderation
- look after your mental health
Are you at risk?
Learn more here about the development and quality assurance of healthdirect content.
Last reviewed: July 2018