Healthdirect Free Australian health advice you can count on.

Medical problem? Call 1800 022 222. If you need urgent medical help, call triple zero immediately

healthdirect Australia is a free service where you can talk to a nurse or doctor who can help you know what to do.

covid19-restriction-checker: COVID-19 Restriction Checker

Gatherings and work – Victoria

Current as of 18 October 2020, at 16:00 AEST

Victoria’s state of disaster restrictions

Victoria declared a state of disaster from 6pm, Sunday 2 August.

A roadmap to reopening began on Monday 14 September. Melbourne is under Second Step restrictions. Regional Victoria is under Third Step restrictions.

Wearing a fitted face mask in public is mandatory in Victoria, unless you have a lawful reason for not wearing one. Face shields, bandanas and scarves are not sufficient.

For more information, go to the Victorian Government’s restrictions page at or call the Victorian Coronavirus Hotline on 1800 675 398.

Melbourne — Second Step restrictions

From 11:59pm on 18 October, you can leave home for any period of time to see friends and family or exercise outdoors. This replaces the 2-hour limit on these activities. There are no limits on the number of times you can leave home.

You must stay within 25 kilometres of your home or permitted workplace within metropolitan Melbourne. This replaces the 5km rule from 11:59pm on 18 October. Travel to regional Victoria is still only allowed for permitted purposes — even if this is within 25km. This means you can't travel into regional Victoria for gatherings, exercise or recreation.

From 11:59pm on 18 October, you can socialise with a group of up to 10 people from a maximum of 2 households outdoors in a public place. Children under 12 months are not included in this limit. You can also gather with an unlimited number of people if they’re all from the same household.

An 'outdoor public place' means an area accessible to everyone — including local parks and beaches.

You shouldn’t receive visitors in your home or visit other people’s homes unless an exception applies. For example, professional respite care for people with complex needs is allowed and you can visit a person in your 'single social bubble' — see below.

If you’re with someone who’s not from your household, keep 1.5 metres apart. Don’t hug, kiss or shake hands.

A terminally ill person plus up to 10 people or a household can continue to meet outdoors or visit an entertainment or recreation venue if it's approved by Victoria’s Chief Health Officer. Call the Victorian Coronavirus Hotline on 1800 675 398 and select option 2.

Shared-parenting arrangements — both formal and informal — should continue for children.

From 11:59pm on 18 October, you can leave your home to:

  • study or work, if you're a permitted worker — carry your permit with you
  • shop for essential items within a 25km radius of your home — any number of people from 1 household can leave home to shop for essential goods
  • exercise for any period of time within 25km of your home or workplace. You can exercise in a group of up to 10 people from a maximum of 2 households outdoors in a public place — however personal training is limited to 2 people plus the trainer.
  • receive healthcare or attend medical appointments
  • give or receive care, or for compassionate reasons — such as to look after an elderly or sick relative
  • visit someone in your single social bubble
  • escape an emergency or violence in the home

Use the Victorian Government's interactive map at to see where you can travel within 25km of your home.

The single social bubble

If you live alone or you're a single parent with all your children under 18, you can have 1 nominated visitor to your home. This is referred to as the ‘single social bubble’. There are no restrictions on the number of times you can see the person in your single social bubble in a day.

If you’re eligible, you can form a bubble with one other person. The 25km-rule doesn't apply but they have to live in metropolitan Melbourne, not regional Victoria.

If the person you nominate to be in your bubble lives with others, you can only visit them if they’re at home alone. Otherwise, they can visit you at home. You can stay overnight at your nominated person’s home.

Intimate partners

In metropolitan Melbourne, you can visit your intimate partner if you don't live with them, including staying overnight.

If you live in Melbourne but your intimate partner lives in regional Victoria, you can still visit them. However, Melbourne’s current Second Step restrictions still apply to you while you’re in regional Victoria.

If you live alone but have an intimate partner, you must choose whether you want to see your partner or form a single social bubble with a nominated person. You can’t see both.

Melbourne’s Permitted Worker Scheme

If you can work from home, you must continue to do so.

Workplaces in Melbourne must close unless:

  • they are part of a permitted activity; or
  • all employees are working from home

You can find an up-to-date list of permitted workers and industries on the Department of Health and Human Services website. Visit and select 'Business and industry'.

If you work for a permitted business or organisation and you can’t work from home, your employer must issue you with a Permitted Worker Permit if they need you to attend a work site. This is the employer’s responsibility.

Employers and employees must carry their permit and some photo identification when travelling to and from the workplace. If you don’t, you can be fined on the spot.

Employers can download the permit form — which you both need to sign — from:

Employees from Melbourne are allowed to travel to regional Victoria for work — if they can't work from home — and must carry their permit at all times.

However, while in regional Victoria for work, these workers must abide by current Melbourne restrictions.

All businesses — except those with no onsite operations, such as those operating from home — must have a COVIDSafe Plan. This includes businesses with fewer than 5 employees.

For more information about operating businesses or accessing assistance call the Business Victoria coronavirus hotline on 13 22 15.

Rest of Victoria — Third Step restrictions

Regional Victoria remains under Third Step restrictions but some restrictions are easing.

From 11:59pm on 18 October:

  • You can leave home at any time for any reason.
  • 10 people can gather outdoors.
  • You can have up to 2 people visit you at home each day. Babies under 12 months are not included in this limit and other dependents can also attend if they can't be left alone in another setting. The 2 people may be from different households. This replaces the household bubble.
  • You can have your intimate partner over — including to stay overnight — for more, see below.
  • Outdoor religious gatherings are allowed for up to 20 people plus 1 faith leader. This replaces the limit of 10 people.

You can visit someone — including an elderly parent or friend — for care or compassionate reasons. If you’re a person with complex needs, you can receive professional respite care.

A babysitter can mind your children at your home. They must wear a face mask and stay at least 1.5 metres apart where possible.

Intimate partners

If both you and your intimate partner live separately but within regional Victoria, you can visit each other at home. You can also travel and stay in accommodation together within regional Victoria.

If your partner lives in metropolitan Melbourne, you can still travel to and from Melbourne to see them. However, you must comply with metro Melbourne’s restrictions while there.

Family safety support

If you or your family need to leave a violent situation or don’t feel safe in your home, you can access safe housing. Call Safe Steps on 1800 015 188 or email 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Mandatory face masks

All people aged 12 years and older in Victoria must wear a fitted face mask that covers their mouth and nose when out in public — unless an exemption applies.

Exemptions include if:

  • you have a medical condition that makes wearing a face mask unsuitable
  • you’re doing strenuous exercise such as jogging or cycling
  • you can’t do your job while wearing a face mask

Face shields, bandanas and scarves are not sufficient. You can remove your mask to eat if you’re out in public.

If you’re in the car alone or with someone from your household, you don’t need to wear a face mask. You should put your face mask on before you leave your car. If you’re driving your car for work — such as for deliveries — or you’re with people from outside your household, you must wear a face mask.

Those who don’t wear a face mask and don’t have a lawful excuse, will face a fine.

Children younger than 12 years of age don’t need to wear a face mask. Children aged 2 years or younger must not wear a face mask, because they are a choking and suffocation risk.

To learn more about the steps to Victoria's reopening, visit and go to ‘Roadmap for reopening current status’ or call the Victorian Coronavirus Hotline on 1800 675 398.

Healthdirect 24hr 7 days a week hotline

24 hour health advice you can count on

1800 022 222

Government Accredited with over 140 information partners

We are a government-funded service, providing quality, approved health information and advice

Australian Government, health department logo ACT Government logo New South Wales government, health department logo Northen Territory Government logo Government of South Australia, health department logo Tasmanian government logo Government of Western Australia, health department logo