Healthdirect Free Australian health advice you can count on.

Medical problem? Call 1800 022 222. If you need urgent medical help, call triple zero immediately

healthdirect Australia is a free service where you can talk to a nurse or doctor who can help you know what to do.

Person caring for someone.

Person caring for someone.
beginning of content

Residential care

3-minute read

What is residential care?

Residential care refers to the care and services you receive when you are living in a care facility, including aged care homes. Residential care is provided by Australian Government-approved organisations to give you the care you need.

Why might I need residential care?

You might consider residential care because:

  • you might not be able to get out and about easily
  • you may live on your own and want some extra company
  • you may need help due to illness or disability
  • you might need palliative (end-of-life) care

You might still live in your own home with help from a carer, but need a short-term residential care stay while your carer has a break. This is called residential respite care and it can be on a planned or emergency basis.

How can I access residential care?

You will need an assessment to access government-subsidised residential care. These assessments are free. Your doctor can advise you how to get an assessment. Alternatively, visit the My Aged Care website, or call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422.

How much will it cost?

The Australian Government pays the majority of aged care costs in Australia, but you will probably be asked to contribute towards the cost of your residential care if you can afford it.

Aged care homes may charge fees, such as:

  • a contribution to expenses such as meals, laundry, heating and cooling, nursing and personal care - this is known as a basic daily care fee
  • an extra contribution based on an assessment of your income and assets - this is known as a means-tested care fee
  • an accommodation payment - the Government may contribute to this, depending on your income and assets
  • fees for extra services which you request

There are rules in place to make sure everyone receives the care they need.

To find out what you may need to pay for your residential care, or to request an Assets and Income Assessment form and information booklet, go to the My Aged Care website or call 1800 200 422.

Caring for someone else

If you are caring for someone and decide that they need some form of residential care, you will face many issues that may be unsettling. It's never an easy decision, but support is available.

There are still many ways to help care for relatives or friends living in residential care. The My Aged Care website has a fact sheet about caring for someone in an aged care home.

Respite care may be available in the short term.

For further information contact the Carer Advisory Service on 1800 242 636, call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422, or go to the My Aged Care website.

Learn more here about the development and quality assurance of healthdirect content.

Last reviewed: March 2020

Back To Top

Need more information?

These trusted information partners have more on this topic.

Top results

Moving into residential care | enableme - stroke recovery and support

Residential aged care may be recommended after a stroke. Find resources and information to assist your move into care

Read more on Stroke Foundation website

Residential Aged Care

Residential Aged Care

Read more on palliAGED website

Entering Residential Aged Care

Entering Residential Aged Care

Read more on palliAGED website

Getting help with aged care - Services Australia

There are 5 steps to get help with aged care and the costs of aged care.

Read more on Centrelink website

Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Intersex - Information and Services - Population Groups

The End-of-Life Directions for Aged Care (ELDAC) project aims to improve the care of older Australians. Health professionals and aged care workers can access information, guidance, and resources to support palliative care and advance care planning for older people and their families.

Read more on End of Life Directions for Aged Care ELDAC website

Residential care | Dementia Australia

Deciding on residential care Choosing a residential facility What is good care? The partnership between you and the residential

Read more on Dementia Australia website

Deciding on residential care | Dementia Australia

Where to begin Types of residential facilities Getting assessed for residential care Planning for the move Taking care of yourself Contact us Being prepared can help make this decision less stressful.

Read more on Dementia Australia website

Empower Care - Carers Queensland | Carers Queensland

Empower Care We can help take the stress out of transitioning to aged care Do you need help managing your or a loved one’s Home Care Package? Are you struggling with the transition into residential aged care? We are here for you, every step of the way

Read more on Carers QLD website


Read more on Department of Health website

Where is palliative care provided? | Australian Government Department of Health

Palliative care can be provided in a variety of settings. You and your family can decide what suits your situation best.

Read more on Department of Health website

Healthdirect 24hr 7 days a week hotline

24 hour health advice you can count on

1800 022 222

Government Accredited with over 140 information partners

We are a government-funded service, providing quality, approved health information and advice

Australian Government, health department logo ACT Government logo New South Wales government, health department logo Northen Territory Government logo Government of South Australia, health department logo Tasmanian government logo Government of Western Australia, health department logo