Healthdirect Free Australian health advice you can count on.

Medical problem? Call 1800 022 222. If you need urgent medical help, call triple zero immediately

healthdirect Australia is a free service where you can talk to a nurse or doctor who can help you know what to do.

beginning of content

Low cost or free mental health services

3-minute read

If you have a mental health condition that needs treatment, you might be able to get help with payment through a government program.

If you qualify for the Better Access initiative, you will be able to receive a Medicare rebate for selected mental health services.

Your GP can also refer you to psychological services through the local Primary Health Networks. These have funding to provide services to populations in their area deemed to be at high risk or that have poor access to mental health support. Ask your GP if you can access these services.

Who can use the Better Access program?

You can use Better Access if your doctor says you are eligible. As a first step, you must have been diagnosed with a mental health condition such as bipolar disorder, depression, psychosis or anxiety.

You will also usually need a Mental Health Treatment Plan developed, with you, by your doctor.

If you have a mental illness, your doctor might refer you to Better Access as a way to improve your treatment at a lower cost to you. The practitioner you are referred to may accept the rebate as the payment, or you may have to pay more than the rebate and then claim the rebate back from Medicare.

People using the Better Access program can have 6 individual and 6 group treatment sessions provided by a GP, other eligible medical practitioner, psychologist, social worker or occupational therapist. Your doctor can then refer you for another 4 treatment sessions if they think it will help.

Under Better Access, you can claim for up to 10 individual and 10 group services each calendar year. Services can be face to face or telehealth consultations.

Extra support is available until 30 June 2022 for people who are experiencing severe or enduring mental health impacts due to the COVID-19 pandemic. They can access an extra 10 sessions, but will need to have a Mental Health Treatment Plan in place.

How do I start?

The first step is to see your doctor. If you can’t see your doctor, any health service should be able to help.

Search for mental health services in your location.

Other mental health services

If you have concerns about your mental health, you can also contact one of the free counselling services such as:

  • Lifeline (for anyone having a personal crisis) — call 13 11 14 or chat online
  • Beyond Blue (for support and information about mental health) — call 1300 22 4636 or chat online
  • Kids Helpline (24/7 phone and online chat for young people aged 5-25 years) — call 1800 55 1800
  • Suicide Call Back Service (anyone thinking about suicide) — call 1300 659 467
  • Head to Health (for advice, assessment and referral into local mental health services) — call 1800 595 212 from 8:30am to 5pm on weekdays (public holidays excluded)


Department of Health (Education guide - Better access to mental health care for general practioners and allied health professionals), Department of Health (Better access to mental health care: fact sheet for patients)

Learn more here about the development and quality assurance of healthdirect content.

Last reviewed: August 2022

Back To Top

Need more information?

These trusted information partners have more on this topic.

Top results

Mental Health Services | SA Health

Mental health services in South Australia. A directory of where to get mental health help: crisis, counselling, support, advocacy and complaint services.

Read more on SA Health website

Health and Disability Services Complaints Office - Complaints about Mental Health Services

Complaints about Mental Health Services

Read more on Health and Disability Services Complaints Office website

Hospital mental health services | NT.GOV.AU

Top End and Central Australia mental health hospital services.

Read more on NT Health website

Choosing teenage mental health services | Raising Children Network

If you’re choosing teenage mental health services for your child, it’s vital to look for services that suit your child’s and family’s needs. Here’s how.

Read more on website

Tips for choosing a digital mental health service – Information for consumers and carers | Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care

Tips for choosing a digital mental health service – Information for consumers and carers Downloads Tips for choosing a digital mental health service – Information for consumers and carers For more information National Safety and Quality Digital Mental Health Standards Publication year 2020 Resource type Fact sheet or brochure Topics e-Health (digital health) Mental health

Read more on Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care website

Community based mental health services | NT.GOV.AU

Non-government mental health support organisations and services for individuals and carers in the Northern Territory.

Read more on NT Health website

Mental health in remote communities | NT.GOV.AU

Top End and Central Australia remote mental health services.

Read more on NT Health website

ForWhen Helpline - Mental Health Support for Parents

ForWhen is a new and free parent mental health service designed to help expectant parents...

Read more on Karitane website

Support for culturally and linguistically diverse people | Head to Health

An informative resource for finding mental health services and support for anyone from another culture or who speaks another language.

Read more on Head to Health website

Multicultural people - Beyond Blue

Studies have highlighted the barriers people from diverse backgrounds encounter when accessing mental health services and finding help.

Read more on Beyond Blue website

Healthdirect 24hr 7 days a week hotline

24 hour health advice you can count on

1800 022 222

Government Accredited with over 140 information partners

We are a government-funded service, providing quality, approved health information and advice

Australian Government, health department logo ACT Government logo New South Wales government, health department logo Northen Territory Government logo Government of South Australia, health department logo Tasmanian government logo Victorian government logo Government of Western Australia, health department logo

Healthdirect Australia acknowledges the Traditional Owners of Country throughout Australia and their continuing connection to land, sea and community. We pay our respects to the Traditional Owners and to Elders both past and present.