Healthdirect Free Australian health advice you can count on.

Medical problem? Call 1800 022 222. If you need urgent medical help, call triple zero immediately

healthdirect Australia is a free service where you can talk to a nurse or doctor who can help you know what to do.

beginning of content

Social workers

3-minute read

Social workers are there to help you if you are in crisis and need support. You can contact a social worker for counselling, information and referrals to other services — they are there to help you through difficult times.

What is a social worker?

Social workers help people to face life's challenges, improve their wellbeing, and do their best to ensure they are treated fairly. Social workers usually see people when they are facing some sort of crisis, such as family violence, homelessness or mental health issues.

Social workers are trained at university in human behaviour, families, social justice and human rights. They must meet certain professional standards and are accredited by the Australian Association of Social Workers (AASW). Some social workers have additional training in mental health issues. These are called Accredited Mental Health Social Workers (AMHSW).

What does a social worker do?

Social workers provide counselling to individuals and groups, information and links to other support services.

They will help make sure you get the help you need, such as emergency accommodation, financial support, and health or legal services. They will coordinate the different support providers, while advocating for you and helping you to navigate the healthcare system.

Social workers may either work directly with individuals and their families, or in policy, education and research to reduce discrimination and other justices.

When might I need a social worker?

There are many reasons for seeing a social worker. They can help you if you if:

  • you are in any sort of personal crisis
  • you have experienced family violence
  • you are worried about your children or family's welfare
  • you have mental health issues or you are thinking about suicide
  • you are homeless
  • you are a young person without support
  • you are affected by a natural disaster or any sort of trauma
  • you have problems with gambling, substance abuse, poverty or unemployment
  • you have been ill or need rehabilitation
  • you have a disability
  • you are in the justice system

How to find a social worker

You can find social workers in hospitals, community health centres, aged care services, mental health services, and drug and alcohol services. They also work in education facilities, child protection services, family support, employment services, the justice system, housing, and disability services. Some social workers operate in private practice.

The best way to find a qualified social worker is through the AASW Directory.

You can speak to a Centrelink social worker by calling the Centrelink Employment Services line on 132 850 and asking to speak to a social worker, or by visiting your local service centre.

You can also search for a social worker near you on healthdirect's service finder.

More information

Learn more here about the development and quality assurance of healthdirect content.

Last reviewed: May 2019

Back To Top

Need more information?

These trusted information partners have more on this topic.

Top results

Social Workers

A social worker provides counselling and support to both patients and their families. Social workers focus on supporting people and their families with honesty, respect and without judgement, as their priorities and needs for living change. They provide particular support for families with children or patients who have no family living nearby, and assist with managing feelings of anxiety, depression and loneliness. They offer expertise to help solve difficult practical problems, financial advice

Read more on CareSearch website

Social workers | Professional help | ReachOut Australia

Social workers help communities, families and individuals in many different ways. Find out here how to contact a social worker when you need support.

Read more on website

Social workers, children & families | Raising Children Network

A social worker can help you or your child with mental health and wellbeing, relationships, family and parenting issues, alcohol and other drug use and more.

Read more on website

What are mental health professionals? | ReachOut Australia

Learn about mental health professionals and the differences between doctors, counsellors, psychologists, psychiatrists, youth workers and social workers.

Read more on website

Health Information Line - Women's Health Queensland Inc

The Health Information Line is a free information and referral service for Queensland women, staffed by nurses, midwives and social workers.1800 017 676

Read more on Women's Health Queensland website

Psychologists & other therapists - BluePages

Non-medical professionals can provide help for depression, including psychologists, mental health social workers, counsellors and mental health nurses.

Read more on e-hub Web Services - Australian National University (ANU) website

Better access to mental health care: fact sheet for patients

Information about Medicare rebates available to patients for selected mental health services provided by GPs, psychiatrists, psychologists and eligible social workers and occupational therapists.

Read more on Department of Health website

Talking to Your Children about Spinal Cord Injury: A Practical Guide for Families.

As social workers in the spinal cord injury (SCI) fi eld we acknowledge that there has been a gap in services, resources and support for parents and families to explain their injury to children. Parents engaged in NSW Spinal Services provided informal feedback regarding the lack of specifi c resources available to them to assist their child relatives through the impact of spinal cord injury on their family.

Read more on ACI - Agency for Clinical Innovation website

Counselling & Social Work - Redkite - A lifeline for families facing childhood cancer

Childhood cancer is tough. When you want someone to talk to, we are ready to listen. You can reach us from 9am-7pm, Monday to Friday. Redkite support is confidential and it’s free.

Read more on Redkite website

How to get mental health support - Services Australia

Free counselling and additional mental health support for individuals, families and emergency services workers affected by the bushfires.

Read more on Medicare website

Healthdirect 24hr 7 days a week hotline

24 hour health advice you can count on

1800 022 222

Government Accredited with over 140 information partners

We are a government-funded service, providing quality, approved health information and advice

Australian Government, health department logo ACT Government logo New South Wales government, health department logo Northen Territory Government logo Government of South Australia, health department logo Tasmanian government logo Government of Western Australia, health department logo