It is safest to:
- always use condoms with water based lubricant during sex
- always use dental dams for oral sex
- limit your sex partners or have a long-term monogamous relationship where neither of you is already infected
- avoid sex with someone infected with syphilis or who has symptoms of syphilis until they have finished treatment
- have regular STI check-ups.
Not sure what to do next?
If you are still concerned about syphilis, why not use healthdirect’s online Symptom Checker to get advice on when to seek medical attention.
The Symptom Checker guides you to the next appropriate healthcare steps, whether it’s self care, talking to a health professional, going to a hospital or calling triple zero (000).
Last reviewed: June 2017