It is safest to:
- always use condoms with water based lubricant during sex
- always use dental dams for oral sex
- limit the number of people you have sex with, or just have sex with one partner who isn’t already infected
- avoid sex with someone infected with syphilis or who has symptoms of syphilis until they have finished treatment
- have regular STI check-ups
Not sure what to do next?
If you are still concerned about syphilis, why not use healthdirect’s online Symptom Checker to get advice on when to seek medical attention.
The Symptom Checker guides you to the next appropriate healthcare steps, whether it’s self care, talking to a health professional, going to a hospital or calling triple zero (000).
Learn more here about the development and quality assurance of healthdirect content.
Last reviewed: May 2019