Mouth sores can be caused by many things. If you think you may have developed mouth sores as a result of oral sex it is important to seek medical advice.
Oral sex and STIs
If you suspect that you may have a sexually transmitted infection (STI), it is important to visit your doctor, local family planning clinic or sexual health, as soon as possible.
You can prevent catching STIs during oral sex by making sure that your partner wears a condom or a dental dam.
A dental dam, which is a thin piece of latex, can also be used during oral sex to prevent the spread of infection. It can be placed over the genitals or anus (back passage) before giving oral sex. It creates a barrier that prevents bodily fluids being passed between people and reduces your risk of getting a sexually transmitted infection.
Looking after your mouth
Here is some advice on how to look after your mouth:
- You should try to limit the number of sugary foods and drinks that you have. Have them as an occasional treat.
- Make sure you brush your teeth twice a day with fluoride toothpaste to reduce the build-up of bacteria in your mouth. Gently brush your gums and tongue as well.
- If you wear dentures, make sure they are cleaned properly and that the skin under the dentures is also clean. Rinse your mouth out after every meal.
- Smoking can also encourage oral infections. If you smoke, try to cut down or quit smoking.
- It’s important to visit your dentist at least once a year. Consider having your teeth cleaned occasionally by a hygienist.
- Avoid oral sex if you have sores or ulcers in your mouth or around your lips.
If you are in pain, get advice on medicines you can take.
Not sure what to do next?
If you are still concerned about your oral sex and mouth care, why not use healthdirect’s online Symptom Checker to get advice on when to seek medical attention.
The Symptom Checker guides you to the next appropriate healthcare steps, whether it’s self care, talking to a health professional, going to a hospital or calling triple zero (000).
Last reviewed: July 2015