Healthdirect Free Australian health advice you can count on.

Medical problem? Call 1800 022 222. If you need urgent medical help, call triple zero immediately

healthdirect Australia is a free service where you can talk to a nurse or doctor who can help you know what to do.

covid19-restriction-checker: COVID-19 Restriction Checker

Travel – Victoria

Updated on 23 April 2022, at 16:20 AET

Travel within Victoria

There are no limits on travel within Victoria.

Coming to Victoria from interstate

People coming from other states don’t need a travel permit to enter Victoria — regardless of their vaccination status.

You don’t need a permit if you have completed hotel quarantine interstate and wish to enter Victoria.

You don’t need a permit if you’re a domestic or an international air crew services worker.

You must follow all directions in place while you’re in Victoria. If you start to feel any symptoms of COVID-19, get tested at one of the many testing sites across Victoria straight away.

International arrivals

Before you arrive in Australia

All international travellers must meet all Commonwealth entry requirements, including declaring their vaccination status and completing a digital passenger declaration.

When you arrive in Victoria

All international travellers — and international aircrew and maritime workers — arriving in Victoria, regardless of vaccination status:

  • are strongly recommended to have a rapid antigen test or PCR test within 24 hours of arriving in Australia — they do not need to self-quarantine while waiting for their results
  • must have a PCR or a rapid antigen test if they develop COVID-19 symptoms within 7 days of arriving in Australia
    • If they have a PCR test, self-quarantine until they receive a negative result. If they test positive on a rapid antigen test, they must report their result to the Victorian Government and follow the Checklist for COVID cases.
  • must comply with all COVIDSafe settings in place, such as wearing masks when needed
  • may transit directly to another state or territory following arrival in Victoria

Mandatory face masks

For information on face-mask restrictions and exemptions, see 'Face Masks — Victoria' in the Restriction Checker.

To learn more about Victoria's restrictions, visit or call the Victorian Coronavirus Hotline on 1800 675 398. International, interstate and mobile callers can phone (+613) 9096 9000.

Healthdirect 24hr 7 days a week hotline

24 hour health advice you can count on

1800 022 222

Government Accredited with over 140 information partners

We are a government-funded service, providing quality, approved health information and advice

Australian Government, health department logo ACT Government logo New South Wales government, health department logo Northen Territory Government logo Government of South Australia, health department logo Tasmanian government logo Victorian government logo Government of Western Australia, health department logo

Healthdirect Australia acknowledges the Traditional Owners of Country throughout Australia and their continuing connection to land, sea and community. We pay our respects to the Traditional Owners and to Elders both past and present.