Call your doctor or go to the emergency department if you have any of the signs below, which could mean you have a high risk of becoming dehydrated or may have a more serious underlying condition:
- you have been vomiting uncontrollably for more than 24 hours
- you have not been able to keep down fluids for 12 hours or more
- your vomit is green. In this case you are probably bringing up bile, a fluid the digestive system uses to digest foods
- there is blood in your vomit or what looks like coffee granules
- you have abdominal/belly or stomach pain.
Not sure what to do next?
If you are still concerned about your vomiting, check your symptoms with healthdirect’s online Symptom Checker to get advice on when to seek medical attention.
The Symptom Checker guides you to the next appropriate healthcare steps, whether it’s self care, talking to a health professional, going to a hospital or calling triple zero (000).
Last reviewed: July 2015