It's important you follow the full treatment prescribed by your doctor.
How to ease strep throat symptoms
If you have a strep throat, there are a number of different ways that might help ease your symptoms:
- Make sure you have enough fluids. Drink clear soup, cold drinks, and other clear, nutritious liquids. If eating hurts your throat, don't force yourself to eat solid food. When you are able to eat more foods, choose healthy food to give you strength and to help fight the infection.
- Do not smoke. Do not breathe second-hand smoke.
- Gargle with salt water.
- Suck on lozenges or hard candy.
- Don't talk a lot. Rest your voice.
- Use a humidifier or vaporizer to add moisture to the air.
- Put warm compresses on your neck.
Make sure you don’t pass strep throat to anyone else by washing your hands and covering your nose and mouth when you cough or sneeze.
What to do if you have a fever?
Last reviewed: December 2017