The following suggestions may help you prevent spread of your strep infection to others:
- Avoid close contact with other people until you have been taking the antibiotic for 24 to 48 hours so they will not be exposed to the strep bacteria.
- Use tissues when you cough and dispose of them carefully.
- Hand washing is the best method of prevention. Wash your hands before you touch food, dishes, glasses, silverware, napkins, etc.
- Wash your hands after you cough and before you touch certain things, like food, dishes, glasses, silverware or napkins.
- Use paper cups, or separate cups, and paper towels in bathrooms instead of shared drinking cups and hand towels.
- Do not share food and eating utensils with others.
- Do not prepare food for others.
People with strep throat should not go to childcare, preschool, school or work until they are no longer contagious.
Last reviewed: December 2017