The following suggestions may help you prevent spread of your strep infection to others:
- Avoid close contact with other people until you have been taking the antibiotic for 24 to 48 hours so they will not be exposed to the strep bacteria.
- Use tissues when you cough and dispose of them carefully.
- Hand washing is the best method of prevention. Wash your hands before you touch food, dishes, glasses, silverware, napkins, etc.
- Wash your hands after you cough and before you touch certain things, like food, dishes, glasses, silverware or napkins.
- Use paper cups, or separate cups, and paper towels in bathrooms instead of shared drinking cups and hand towels.
- Do not share food and eating utensils with others.
- Do not prepare food for others.
People with strep throat should not go to childcare, preschool, school or work until they are no longer contagious.
Learn more here about the development and quality assurance of healthdirect content.
Last reviewed: December 2017