This change in mood may be something that not only affects you, but also your relationships with others. It’s therefore important to learn how to deal with these feelings.
Ways to overcome feelings of restlessness
To help you cope with feelings of restlessness or irritability, try some of the following tips.
- Talk to your family, friends and work colleagues - don’t bottle up your emotions. If you have an issue with someone, try to deal with it straight away so you’re not stewing over it and causing yourself unnecessary stress.
- Cry if you need to - it can help make you feel better. Don’t feel embarrassed. Crying can ease pressure and tension.
- Take time for yourself – even if it’s only half an hour – each day. Go somewhere quiet and relax.
- Exercise – join a group exercise class like yoga or pilates, or do your own class at home using a rented DVD or online session.
- Do something enjoyable – have your friends around, watch a movie, or do something else that’s fun to lighten your mood.
Last reviewed: August 2015