Healthdirect Australia collects data based on calls to the healthdirect helpline (1800 022 222). This data includes the number of callers who report symptoms of influenza-like illness (ILI), such as colds and flu, cough, sore throat, sinusitis or fever.
Both the flu risk meter and map, as well as the flu trends graph, show the percentage (%) of influenza-like illness calls made to healthdirect.
Flu risk calculations
Here's how to read our flu risk meter and map:
- Minimal (dark green) – less than 6 in 100 calls (<6%)
- Low (light green) – 6 to 8 in every 100 calls (6-8%)
- Moderate (yellow) – 8 to 10 in every 100 calls (8-10%)
- High (orange) – 10 to 12 in every 100 calls (10-12%)
- Intense (red) – greater than 12 in every 100 calls (>12%)
We do not receive data for calls in Victoria and Queensland. Flu risk data is more reliable in states with larger populations. In some states and territories, call volumes may be low.
Last reviewed: April 2018