Healthdirect Free Australian health advice you can count on.

Medical problem? Call 1800 022 222. If you need urgent medical help, call triple zero immediately

healthdirect Australia is a free service where you can talk to a nurse or doctor who can help you know what to do.

beginning of content

Labia problems

6-minute read

If you have a problem with your labia, you may — like many women — feel too embarrassed to visit a doctor. Many women aren’t used to talking about their 'private parts' when something goes wrong, so here’s what to do if you think you have a labia problem.

What are the labia?

The labia are the ‘lips’ on the outside of your genitals (vulva). They protect the clitoris, vagina and urethra and become engorged during sexual activity.

There are 2 pairs of labia — the lips on the outside of the vagina, known as the labia majora, and the folds of skin on the inside that lead to the vagina, called the labia minora.

The size, shape and colour of the labia are different in every woman. One lip can be a different shape or size from the other. There’s no need to worry though — you can see how much normal labia vary by visiting the Labia Library.

Health conditions that affect the labia

The labia are a very sensitive part of the body and can develop lumps, rashes, cysts and ingrown hairs.

The most common causes of problems with the labia are skin conditions such as dermatitis (eczema) and psoriasis. Some other conditions are listed below.

Labial hypertrophy

Labial hypertrophy is when one or both of the labia are larger than usual. The labia might be enlarged, one lip might be larger than the other, or the labia minora might extend down past the labia majora.

Labial hypertrophy is harmless. It won’t affect your sex life and it doesn’t mean you have a medical condition. But it can be uncomfortable or embarrassing, and you might find it hard to keep your labia clean. Your doctor can advise you about simple solutions like wearing loose-fitting underwear or using an ointment to reduce any irritation.

You can always ask to see a female rather than a male doctor if you would prefer.

Labiaplasty is an option for women who are badly affected by labial hypertrophy. This type of surgery usually involves reducing and reshaping the labia, but it’s not recommended for young women until they finish going through puberty.

Fused labia

Fused labia is the term used when the labia majora are joined together. It is quite common in children and normally develops at around the age of 1 or 2. The labia almost always separates by the time the child finishes puberty.

The best thing to do is leave the labia alone. If the fusion is causing your child problems (for example, with going to the toilet) talk to your doctor about whether creams or massage can help. Surgery is a last resort because there's a high risk that the labia will simply fuse again.

Swelling of the labia

If your labia are swollen, it could be the sign of a yeast infection, or an imbalance of bacteria in the vagina (called bacterial vaginosis), an allergy or an infection. It could also just be due to friction from having sex.

If it’s getting worse and you also have pain, itching, there is a strong smell, an unusual discharge from your vagina or a lump or bump on the labia, talk to your doctor. Any treatment will depend on what’s causing the swelling.

Bartholin's cysts

The Bartholin's glands are on each side of the vagina. If they get blocked, a cyst (a tender or painful lump) can form. The cyst can become infected, with a build-up of pus that will need to be treated with antibiotics. Sometimes Bartholin’s cysts can develop into an abscess.


An abscess is an infection caused by bacteria underneath the skin. They can develop on your labia just outside the vagina in the Bartholin’s glands. They can also be caused by an ingrown hair, waxing or shaving, a piercing, or by an infection in the skin’s glands or a sexually transmitted infection.

Abscesses cause soreness, redness and swelling. Your doctor may recommend antibiotics, a procedure to remove the pus, and sitting in a sitz bath (shallow bath), using a teaspoon of salt per litre of warm water, to ease the pain.


Many women and girls who have psoriasis elsewhere on their body also develop it on the labia. Psoriasis is a red, itchy rash, usually found on the hairy skin, and it can extend to the anus. It can be treated with a cream or ointment, but it often comes back.

Genital warts and genital herpes

Genital warts are bumps that can appear on your labia and other parts of your genitals. They are caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV). The warts often go away by themselves but if they are painful or itchy, talk to your doctor about treatments, including special wart paint, freezing or laser treatment. These treatments will only get rid of the warts, not the HPV virus.

Genital herpes is a sexually transmitted infection caused by the herpes simplex virus (HSV). It can cause blisters or sores on your labia that keep coming back throughout your life. If you think you have genital herpes, it’s important to see a doctor as soon as possible so you can start treatment. Make sure you use condoms and dental dams during sex because you can pass the virus on to your partner.

Lichen sclerosus or planus

Skin conditions that can affect the labia include lichen sclerosus or lichen planus. These can lead to severe itching, burning or stinging, and painful sex. They are thought to be caused by autoimmune disorders and are most common in women after menopause.

If they’re not treated, these conditions can cause scarring. Your doctor can talk to you about treatments including steroids and pain relief medicines.

Looking after your labia

It’s a good idea to get to know your labia so you can see if there are any changes that might be signs of a problem.

Take showers rather than baths, use hypoallergenic toilet paper and laundry detergent, and avoid soap. Gently pat the area dry, without rubbing, and use lubrication during sex if necessary.

Wearing loose fitting clothes and cotton underwear can help, as can using tampons rather than sanitary pads.

If you have a labia condition, a cool gel pack can help with discomfort.

When to see a doctor

It’s a good idea to see your doctor if you have symptoms that won’t go away, such as burning and itching or pain. If you’re embarrassed, using healthdirect’s Question Builder can help you get ready for a conversation with your doctor. And remember: you can always ask to see a female doctor if you would prefer.

Not sure what to do next? Healthdirect’s Symptom Checker will help you decide the best course of action.

Learn more here about the development and quality assurance of healthdirect content.

Last reviewed: January 2019

Back To Top

Need more information?

These trusted information partners have more on this topic.

Top results

Common Vaginal & Vulval Conditions | Family Planning NSW

There are a number of conditions that can affect your vagina and vulva (the outside part of the femal genitals). Some are uncomfortable, others can be painful and irritating.

Read more on Family Planning NSW website

Vulval problems: a self-help guide -

The aim of this guide is to demystify vulval problems by offering an alternative to the current ways of explaining and treating these conditions.

Read more on myDr website

Vulval Cancer - Just Diagnosed - Questions for Your Team | Counterpart

Vulval Cancer - Just Diagnosed - Questions for Your Team | Counterpart

Read more on Counterpart - Women supporting women with cancer website

Vulval Cancer - After Treatment - Questions for Your Team | Counterpart

Vulval Cancer - After Treatment - Questions for Your Team | Counterpart

Read more on Counterpart - Women supporting women with cancer website

Vulval Cancer - If Cancer Won't Go Away | Counterpart

Cervical Cancer - If Cancer Won't Go Away | Counterpart

Read more on Counterpart - Women supporting women with cancer website

Vulval cancer: Kim's phenomenal ordeal of loss and triumph | myVMC

Vulval cancer survivor, Kim, talks to Virtual Medical Centre about her phenomenal ordeal of loss and triumph.

Read more on myVMC – Virtual Medical Centre website

The vulva: irritation, diagnosis & treatment - booklet | Jean Hailes

Find out what’s normal when it comes to vulval health, what causes irritation, how it can be managed and handy health tips to keep in mind.

Read more on Jean Hailes for Women's Health website

HPV (Human papillomavirus) | Australian Government Department of Health

HPV is a highly contagious virus, spread through sexual contact.

Read more on Department of Health website

Good fertility health

Your age and your health can affect your chances of falling pregnant. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle may help you improve your fertility.

Read more on Pregnancy, Birth & Baby website

Hormonal health – clues made clear | Jean Hailes

Hormones can be a complex area of women's health, but certain changes to your vagina and vulva can give you some insight.

Read more on Jean Hailes for Women's Health website

Healthdirect 24hr 7 days a week hotline

24 hour health advice you can count on

1800 022 222

Government Accredited with over 140 information partners

We are a government-funded service, providing quality, approved health information and advice

Australian Government, health department logo ACT Government logo New South Wales government, health department logo Northen Territory Government logo Government of South Australia, health department logo Tasmanian government logo Government of Western Australia, health department logo