Below is a list of the main glands, some of the hormones they produce and what effects they have on the body.
- Major hormones – ADH, oxytocin and various hormones that stimulate the pituitary gland.
- Influences – nervous and hormonal systems
- Major hormones – LH, FSH, prolactin, growth hormone, TSH, ACTH
- Influences – reproduction, growth, breastfeeding, hormone regulation
- Major hormones – Melatonin
- Influences – sleep cycle
- Major hormones – T3, T4, calcitonin
- Influence – metabolism, bone health
- Major hormones – Parathyroid hormone
- Influences – calcium levels
- Major hormones – adrenaline, noradrenaline, cortisol, aldosterone
- Influences – stress response and blood pressure/salt control
- Major hormones – insulin, glucagon, somatostatin
- Influences – blood sugar control
Ovaries (females only)
- Major hormones – oestrogen, progesterone
- Influences – female characteristics
Testes (males only)
- Major hormones – testosterone
- Influences – male characteristics
Find out more about the hormonal system.
Last reviewed: July 2015