Healthdirect Free Australian health advice you can count on.

Medical problem? Call 1800 022 222. If you need urgent medical help, call triple zero immediately

healthdirect Australia is a free service where you can talk to a nurse or doctor who can help you know what to do.

beginning of content

Vaginal bleeding self care

3-minute read

Some women have much heavier periods than normal. It’s more common in teenagers and as you approach menopause.

Heavy vaginal bleeding can also happen between periods. In about half of cases, heavy bleeding is caused by a problem with the lining of the womb (the endometrium), including endometriosis or polyps. In some women, it’s caused by polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), fibroids, an intrauterine device (IUD) or an injury to the vagina. Heavy vaginal bleeding can also be a complication of pregnancy.

If you are bleeding very heavily or you feel faint or as if you might pass out, call triple zero (000) immediately and ask for an ambulance. If calling triple zero (000) does not work on your mobile phone, try calling 112.

It’s very important to seek medical advice if you have any vaginal bleeding while you are pregnant or you have been through menopause.

Managing your bleeding

If you are bleeding heavily from your vagina, you may want to use a pad. Don’t use a tampon if you have a vaginal injury or you think something may be inside your vagina. Make sure you change your pad at regular intervals, at least every 3 to 4 hours.

See your doctor if:

  • you are bleeding so heavily that you have to change your pad every hour
  • the bleeding is not contained with a pad/tampon
  • you're passing clots that are larger than a 50 cent piece
  • your bleeding lasts for more than 7-8 days
  • you are in a lot of pain

Your doctor may give you medicines to help with the bleeding, pain and inflammation. If medicines can’t control the bleeding, or if it keeps happening, your doctor may do a cervical screening test and swab your vagina, order blood tests and possibly a pelvic ultrasound to find out the cause. They may send you to a specialist for more tests.

How to look after yourself

There are other things you can do to look after yourself:

  • get plenty of rest to help ease any discomfort caused by your bleeding
  • keep well hydrated
  • if you have an injury and the vaginal area is painful and swollen, using a cold compress or covered ice pack may help to relieve the pain and swelling. Don’t keep the ice pack on the area for more than 30 minutes
  • wash your hands with soap and water then dry thoroughly before touching or cleaning the area
  • do not apply any creams or lotions to your genitals without discussing your problem with a pharmacist first
  • if you are in pain, get advice on medicines you can take. You could try using a heat pack or hot water bottle on your abdomen, doing some gentle exercise or relaxing to relieve pain
  • make sure your iron levels don’t get too low. If you’re feeling very tired, talk to your doctor about whether you need an iron supplement

Not sure what to do next?

If you are still concerned about vaginal bleeding, use healthdirect’s online Symptom Checker to get advice on when to seek medical attention.

The Symptom Checker guides you to the next appropriate healthcare steps, whether it’s self care, talking to a health professional, going to a hospital or calling triple zero (000).

Learn more here about the development and quality assurance of healthdirect content.

Last reviewed: May 2019

Back To Top

Need more information?

These trusted information partners have more on this topic.

Top results

Heavy bleeding | Jean Hailes

Heavy bleeding can disrupt your daily life and be quite distressing. What causes it, how heavy bleeding is diagnosed and what treatments are available are…

Read more on Jean Hailes for Women's Health website

Vaginal Bleeding

If you are concerned about any abnormal bleeding or have some other concern about your health, you should see your local doctor, family planning clinic or sexual health clinic.

Read more on Queensland Health website

Placenta accreta

Placenta accreta is a serious but rare pregnancy complication that causes heavy bleeding. If you have it, you will need special care at the birth.

Read more on Pregnancy, Birth & Baby website

Endometriosis -

Endometriosis is a condition in which tissue similar to the tissue that lines the uterus (endometrial tissue) grows in places outside the uterus.

Read more on myDr website

What is PCOS?

Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is the most common hormonal condition affecting women in their reproductive years.

Read more on Your Fertility website

Heavy Menstrual Bleeding

Read more on RANZCOG - Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists website

Guidance for management of troublesome vaginal bleeding with progestogen-only long-acting reversible contraception (LARC) | Family Planning NSW

Family Plannning Alliance Australia guidance for management of troublesome vaginal bleeding with progestogen-only long-acting reversible contraception (LARC)

Read more on Family Planning NSW website

Signs of miscarriage

Find out what the signs of miscarriage are and advice on what you should do.

Read more on Pregnancy, Birth & Baby website

Ectopic pregnancy -

Ectopic pregnancy is a pregnancy that implants outside the uterus (womb). Most ectopic pregnancies occur in one of the fallopian tubes. Ectopic pregnancy is a serious condition.

Read more on myDr website

Bleeding during pregnancy

Bleeding during pregnancy is relatively common, however you should always contact your midwife or doctor immediately if it happens to you.

Read more on Pregnancy, Birth & Baby website

Healthdirect 24hr 7 days a week hotline

24 hour health advice you can count on

1800 022 222

Government Accredited with over 140 information partners

We are a government-funded service, providing quality, approved health information and advice

Australian Government, health department logo ACT Government logo New South Wales government, health department logo Northen Territory Government logo Government of South Australia, health department logo Tasmanian government logo Government of Western Australia, health department logo