If you are feeling down or are depressed, you may find you focus on negative aspects of your life.
This can mean you have unpleasant thoughts or feelings that make you very critical of yourself, so that you only see the bad things and none of the good things.
How do you control negative thoughts?
There are a few techniques you can try to help you deal with unpleasant thoughts.
- Talk about your feelings with a friend or family member. Talking through issues often helps you realise they are not as bad as you thought.
- Keep a diary of your thoughts and feelings.
- Challenge any negative thoughts. Are they true? What positive things could happen?
- Aim to challenge every negative thought with a positive one.
- Think about the parts of your life that are positive.
- Think of things you enjoy, and plan them regularly.
- Eat a healthy diet, get some exercise and avoid alcohol.
Learn more here about the development and quality assurance of healthdirect content.
Last reviewed: February 2020