If financial stress is impacting your health and relationships, here are some tips to help you through this difficult time.
- Stay on top of your emotions - Write down your worries to help you work out which issues to tackle first.
- Look after your health - Eat a healthy, balanced diet and exercise regularly. Talk to your doctor if you have a pre-existing medical condition that could be aggravated by stress.
- Share your feelings with supportive friends and colleagues - Identify people you can talk to about how you are feeling and who will help you remain positive.
- Be honest with your family - Tell them about the situation and how it might affect the household budget. If your relationship with your partner is under stress, contact Relationships Australia on 1300 364 277 for support, advice and counselling.
- Draw up a budget - Write down a summary of your finances and work out how much money you need to cover your costs. You may need to limit your spending for a while.
- Contact your bank - Most financial institutions have policies in place to assist customers experiencing financial problems. The Australian Bankers’ Association website has lots of information about dealing with banks.
- Contact a Department of Human Services social worker - They can give you extra support and advice on coping with financial stress. Call 132 850 or visit a Department of Human Services customer service centre.
Need help in planning, budgeting and better managing your financial issues? Try these services:
- The Australian Securities & Investments Commission (ASIC) provides tips and advice on managing money through MoneySmart. Call them on 1300 300 630.
- Financial Counselling Australia has a consumer website with tips on juggling household bills and debt. You can call their national helpline on 1800 007 007 for free, confidential financial counselling.
- The Salvation Army Moneycare website also offers a free, confidential financial counselling service.
- The Department of Human Services website has lots of information about free services to help you manage your money.
Last reviewed: December 2016