Online program | By: This Way Up
The OCD Program is an online program developed by the team at THIS WAY UP from UNSW at St Vincent’s Hospital, Sydney. Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) consists of a mixture of obsessions, which are unwanted thoughts of doubt, harm or contamination that intrude into your mind and cause worry; and compulsions, like excessive washing or checking, to make sure the obsession cannot come true. Compulsions can be time consuming and difficult to control. OCD commonly begins in adolescence and can be disabling and distressing to live with.
This 6-lesson program is based on an effective psychological treatment for obsessions and compulsions called Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (or CBT). It is designed to teach you proven strategies for tackling your symptoms and show you how to work with your thoughts, emotions, and behaviours so you can make a positive change in how you feel. It may be especially helpful to you if you’ve been previously diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and haven’t had CBT in the past.
- About: online program to learn practical strategies to better manage obsessive thoughts and compulsive behaviours, and reduce how much they interfere with daily life.
- Suitable for: people with more than one episode of OCD and who are ready to confront their fears very gradually to find out that what they fear does not occur.
- Cost: You can enrol in the ‘self-help’ option and start the program right away for $59 (you must reside in Australia to access this option), or you can seek a prescription from your regular GP or mental health professional and enrol in the program for free (this option is available worldwide under the supervision of your treating physician).
- More information: Visit this page to enrol in this program as ‘self-help’ and complete it independently OR
- speak with your regular clinician (e.g., your GP, psychologist, or other health professional) and see if they can prescribe you this program and monitor you throughout your online treatment. You can download and take the Clinician Letter to your appointment.
NOTE: This online program is provided by one of Healthdirect Australia's trusted information partners. Please consider if this online program is appropriate for your own individual circumstances. There may be costs to use the online program or it may be free. You may also be charged for data from your telecommunications provider. For 24-hour health advice call healthdirect - 1800 022 222 or if you need help now these emergency and crisis helplines can provide immediate support.
Last reviewed: March 2022