Signs and symptoms of a back injury include:
- pain or tenderness
- pain that worsens with movement, coughing, sneezing or laughing
- stiffness or difficulty moving
- difficulty standing up straight
- difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
- pain that radiates down one or both legs
- numbness or pins and needles to the arms, legs, hands or feet
- blood in the urine.
If you suspect a severe back injury, you should seek medical assistance immediately, and phone your doctor or call an ambulance by dialling triple zero (000).
Not sure what to do next?
If you are still concerned about your back injury, check your symptoms with healthdirect’s online Symptom Checker to get advice on when to seek medical attention.
The Symptom Checker guides you to the next appropriate healthcare steps, whether it’s self care, talking to a health professional, going to a hospital or calling triple zero (000).
Last reviewed: July 2015