Healthdirect Free Australian health advice you can count on.

Medical problem? Call 1800 022 222. If you need urgent medical help, call triple zero immediately

healthdirect Australia is a free service where you can talk to a nurse or doctor who can help you know what to do.

beginning of content

Assessment for respite

You may need an assessment to receive some types of respite care. Assessments are a way of working out how much help you need and the types of services you are eligible to receive. It’s all about what’s best for you and your situation.

For most types of respite care, you just contact an organisation in your local area that provides the relevant services, and talk to them about the help you need. They might conduct their own assessment of your situation so they can work out what’s best for you and the person you care for.

These assessments are usually not too formal unless the person you care for needs to have a short stay in an aged care home. If this is the case, then you will need an Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT, or ACAS in Victoria) assessment.

Your doctor can refer you to an ACAT for a free assessment, or you can simply find your local ACAT and contact them to arrange your own assessment. You and the person you care for will then need to meet with the ACAT person, who will usually be a doctor, nurse, social worker or other health care professional. The person from the ACAT will usually make an appointment to visit you and the person you care for at your home.

The assessment will mostly involve talking to the ACAT person about the type of help you need, and they can give you information about the services that may be available in your local area. They may also ask your permission to talk to the doctor who looks after the person being cared for.

Once the assessment is finished, you will receive a letter to let you know:

  • if you have been approved as eligible to receive government services
  • what type of services you are eligible for and approved to receive, and why.

You can appeal the ACAT decision if you are not happy with your assessment outcome.

For more information, call your local Commonwealth Respite and Carelink Centre on 1800 052 222 for help to find respite care services that meet your needs.

Last reviewed: October 2016

Recommended links

Need more information?

These trusted information partners have more on this topic.

Found 4 results

Alzheimer's Australia | Taking a break

Caring for someone with dementia can be physically and emotionally tiring and stressful. Families and carers can easily become isolated, particularly if they are unable to leave the person they are caring for. Regular breaks mean that you can have a rest, go out, attend to business or go on a holiday and gives carers something to look forward to and experiences to look back on.

Read more on Alzheimer's Australia website

Dementia - Factsheets

Dementia is a name given to a group of symptoms which result from failing brain functions. The major signs are memory loss, confusion, disorientation and lessening of intellectual functioning.

Read more on NSW Health website

Alzheimer's Australia | Services available for people with Younger Onset Dementia

The task of living with or caring for someone with younger onset dementia can be difficult, and at times feel overwhelming. However, there are a number of organisations which provide services to help both the person living with dementia and their carers continue caring for people with dementia at home.

Read more on Alzheimer's Australia website

Alzheimer's Australia | Sleeping

Causes of sleeping problems Other considerations Who can help? Problems with sleeping are a common occurrence for people with dementia. Some people sleep during the day and are awake and restless at night. Some are no longer able to tell the difference between night and day, while others are simply not as active as they used to be and consequently need less sleep.

Read more on Alzheimer's Australia website

Check your symptoms Find a health service

Healthdirect 24hr 7 days a week hotline

24 hour health advice and information you can count on

1800 022 222

Government Accredited with over 140 information partners

We are a government-funded service, providing quality, approved health information

Australian Government, health department logo ACT Government logo New South Wales government, health department logo Northen Territory Government logo Government of South Australia, health department logo Tasmanian government logo Government of Western Australia, health department logo