Here are some tips for reducing your risk of Alzheimer’s disease:
- keep your brain active, by doing mind games like puzzles, and take every opportunity to learn new things
- exercise regularly, including resistance training and balance exercises
- eat a healthy diet, with limited amounts of fats and salt
- see your doctor regularly to check your blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol levels
- maintain an active social life
- avoid head injuries, for example by wearing protective head gear when cycling and taking care on the roads
- avoid smoking
- limit your intake of alcohol.
Research into Alzheimer’s disease is continuing, and as more is revealed about the condition, other ways to treat or prevent it may be found.
Expert advice – dementia research
There is still much we need to find out about Alzheimer’s disease. For example, it’s still unknown why it occurs and there is currently no cure. Watch the video below to learn more about current research into dementia.
Last reviewed: May 2017