Healthdirect Free Australian health advice you can count on.

Medical problem? Call 1800 022 222. If you need urgent medical help, call triple zero immediately

healthdirect Australia is a free service where you can talk to a nurse or doctor who can help you know what to do.

beginning of content

Workers' compensation

4-minute read

Key facts

  • If you are injured at work, you may be eligible for workers’ compensation.
  • If you become ill from your work — for example, through asbestos exposure – you can also claim workers’ compensation.
  • Workers’ compensation insurance may compensate you for wages lost, medical treatment and rehabilitation, depending on the details of the claim.
  • It's important to notify your employer as soon as possible if you are injured at work.

Workers’ compensation is a compulsory insurance for employees who are injured or get sick at or because of their work. Most employers are required by law to take out this insurance. Small businesses that pay a salary of $7,500 or less do not need to take out workers’ compensation policies.

What does workers' compensation cover?

Workers’ compensation schemes are designed to compensate you if you need medical treatment, rehabilitation or time off to recover after being injured at work. It also covers the costs if you get sick from your work — for example if you develop mesothelioma from asbestos exposure.

If your claim is accepted, the benefits you could receive include:

  • costs of your medical and hospital treatment
  • income replacement payments for loss of earnings while you are off work
  • payment if you are permanently impaired, such as due to a spinal cord injury
  • death or funeral benefits if you die as a result of a work-related injury or illness

Some schemes treat psychological trauma and mental illnesses in the same way as they treat physical injuries and illnesses, while others don’t. Check with your scheme to find out.

Workers’ compensation schemes

There are 11 workers’ compensation schemes, with 3 for people employed by the Commonwealth Government and 8 for people employed by each state and territory.

The Commonwealth Government schemes are:

  • Comcare, for:
    • Commonwealth Government agencies and statutory authorities (but excluding members of the Australian Defence Force who began service on or after 1 July 2004)
    • ACT Government and its agencies
    • corporations that have been granted a licence to self-insure
  • Seacare, for seafarers injured while working at sea
  • Department of Veterans' Affairs, for current or former members of the Australian Defence Force who began service on or after 1 July 2004

The state and territory workers’ compensation schemes are:

How workers' compensation works

Premiums are paid by the employer. The schemes cover most workers, including full-time workers, part-time workers and apprentices. Some casual workers and volunteers may be included. Most schemes do not cover contractors or sub-contractors.

Workers’ compensation also covers employees while they travel for work or on work-related business.

The injury or illness should have occurred at work or be work-related, and should require medical treatment and/or time off.

Schemes differ, so check whether you are covered and what to do if you plan to make a claim.

Making a claim

If you want to make a claim, you need to:

  • notify your employer about the work-related injury or illness as soon as possible
  • see a doctor who can assess your injury or illness and decide what treatment is needed for you to recover — they should issue you with a medical certificate or work capacity certificate if you need time off work
  • fill in a claim form for your workers’ compensation scheme (some schemes allow you to claim by telephone)
  • in some cases, attend another medical appointment with a doctor chosen by your employer or insurer to provide further evidence that your injury or illness is work-related, and what treatment is required

Payments for incapacity are generally made to the employer, who passes the payment on to the injured worker. Check with your workers’ compensation scheme for the exact claims process and deadlines for notifying an employer.

Resources and support

If you need free or low-cost legal information and advice, contact:

Learn more here about the development and quality assurance of healthdirect content.

Last reviewed: October 2021

Back To Top

Need more information?

These trusted information partners have more on this topic.

Top results

Workers' compensation | Safe Work Australia

What is workers compensation? Workers’ compensation is a type of insurance that can offer you an important safety net if you become injured or ill because of work. 

Read more on Safe Work Australia website

Workers’ compensation for psychological injuries | Safe Work Australia

Can injured workers get workers’ compensation for psychological injuries? Workers’ compensation is available for physical and psychological injury and disease. 

Read more on Safe Work Australia website

Comparing workers’ compensation in Australia | Safe Work Australia

Comparing Australian and New Zealand workers’ compensation   We release a biennial report comparing Australia and New Zealand’s workers’ compensation arrangements: 

Read more on Safe Work Australia website

Workplace Health | myVMC

It is important to create and sustain an office environment that promotes good health to minimise absenteeism, high staff turnover, workers compensation claims and low morale.

Read more on myVMC – Virtual Medical Centre website

Safety at work | NT.GOV.AU

How to get work safety information and contact details for NT WorkSafe.

Read more on NT Health website

Chiropractor - Better Health Channel

A chiropractor diagnoses, treats and prevents conditions of the spine and musculoskeletal system.

Read more on Better Health Channel website

What does workplace bullying look like? | ReachOut Australia

What is classified as bullying in the workplace? Workplace bullying is behaviour that threatens your health and safety at work. Anyone can be a bully or a victim at a workplace, but it is also important to know who is responsible for stopping it. Learn more at

Read more on website

Working when you have cancer - Cancer Council Victoria

Read more on Cancer Council Victoria website

Work and your health - Better Health Channel

Work can provide satisfaction, but loss of a job or work-related problems can affect our physical, emotional and mental health.

Read more on Better Health Channel website

Hospital care: before, during and after | Health and wellbeing | Queensland Government

Going into hospital can be a stressful time for both patients and families. Knowing as much as possible beforehand can help ease the stress.

Read more on Queensland Health website

Healthdirect 24hr 7 days a week hotline

24 hour health advice you can count on

1800 022 222

Government Accredited with over 140 information partners

We are a government-funded service, providing quality, approved health information and advice

Australian Government, health department logo ACT Government logo New South Wales government, health department logo Northen Territory Government logo Government of South Australia, health department logo Tasmanian government logo Victorian government logo Government of Western Australia, health department logo

Healthdirect Australia acknowledges the Traditional Owners of Country throughout Australia and their continuing connection to land, sea and community. We pay our respects to the Traditional Owners and to Elders both past and present.