Healthdirect Free Australian health advice you can count on.

Medical problem? Call 1800 022 222. If you need urgent medical help, call triple zero immediately

healthdirect Australia is a free service where you can talk to a nurse or doctor who can help you know what to do.

beginning of content

Sexual assault treatment

2-minute read

Even if you are unsure whether to report the crime to the police, it is advisable to get some medical support after a rape or sexual assault. You may have injuries that need treating. It is also advisable to get advice on sexually transmitted infections (STIs).

You can go to:

  • a hospital emergency department
  • your doctor
  • a sexual health clinic

All doctors and nurses will deal with your medical needs confidentially and they will not inform the police unless instructed by you to do so. However, if you think you might report the sexual assault to the police, you should tell a doctor or nurse so that they can arrange some forensic swabs for you that could be used as evidence. You can have the swabs taken and still decide not to go to the police.

Sexually transmitted infections

Even if you don't have any symptoms, it's best to be checked for sexually transmitted infections (STIs) as most have few signs or symptoms. Your doctor may refer you to a sexual health clinic for further testing. You may choose to have an HIV test. If you decide to have an HIV test you will be offered a pre-test discussion first to ensure you fully understand why the test is being done, the risks and benefits, and the possible outcomes of the results.

You may also need to discuss with the doctor or nurse the possibility of pregnancy. In some situations it may be advisable to take the morning after pill to reduce the risk of an unwanted pregnancy.

Not sure what to do next?

If you are still concerned about your sexual assault treatment, why not use healthdirect’s online Symptom Checker to get advice on when to seek medical attention.

The Symptom Checker guides you to the next appropriate healthcare steps, whether it’s self care, talking to a health professional, going to a hospital or calling triple zero (000).


SA Health (Medical care following a sexual assault)

Learn more here about the development and quality assurance of healthdirect content.

Last reviewed: November 2019

Back To Top

Need more information?

These trusted information partners have more on this topic.

Top results

Recovering from sexual assault

Sexual assault happens to women and men of all ages and from all walks of life. You can be sexually assaulted in your home, at your workplace or on the street. A trusted friend, a close relative or a complete stranger can assault you. There is no such thing as a typical sexual assault.

Read more on WA Health website

When someone close to you has been sexually assaulted

A sexual assault can have a devastating impact on you and on the family unit.

Read more on WA Health website

Sexual Assault Resource Centre (SARC)

SARC provides a 24-hour emergency service in metropolitan Perth, Western Australia providing; medical care, forensic examination and counselling support to people who have been sexually assaulted within the previous 14 days.

Read more on WA Health website

Sexual assault information for men

There are specific issues that affect men who have been sexually assaulted or abused.

Read more on WA Health website

Sexual assault

Sexual assault can be a violent, unexpected, traumatic and sometimes life threatening event or series of events.

Read more on WA Health website

Sexual Assault Resource Centre (SARC) crisis service questions

When you arrive at SARC, you will be met by the SARC doctor and counsellor. You will be taken to a private room where the doctor and counsellor will tell you about the services they can provide. The doctor will take a medical history and ask you about the sexual assault

Read more on WA Health website

Child sexual assault: protecting your child -

Child sexual assault: how to protect your child (including online); signs of child sexual assault; and what to do if you suspect child sexual assault.

Read more on myDr website

Sexual Assault Resource Centre (SARC) counselling questions

SARC provides counselling from outreach centres throughout the Perth metropolitan area. Sometimes there is a short delay before you will be offered your first appointment

Read more on WA Health website

What to do if you want to report sexual assault to the police

You may decide you want to report the sexual assault or sexual abuse to the police. This is an individual decision which only you can make.

Read more on WA Health website

Have you been sexually assaulted or sexually abused in the previous two weeks?

The doctors and counsellors at SARC offer a range of services to people who have been sexually assaulted or raped in the past 2 weeks. It is up to you what services you want to accept.

Read more on WA Health website

Healthdirect 24hr 7 days a week hotline

24 hour health advice you can count on

1800 022 222

Government Accredited with over 140 information partners

We are a government-funded service, providing quality, approved health information and advice

Australian Government, health department logo ACT Government logo New South Wales government, health department logo Northen Territory Government logo Government of South Australia, health department logo Tasmanian government logo Government of Western Australia, health department logo