The Heart Foundation helps save lives and improves health through funding cardiovascular research, guidelines for health professionals, informing the public and assisting people with cardiovascular disease.
Since its establishment in 1959, the Heart Foundation has helped achieve significant heart health advancements, such as:
- the introduction of pacemakers
- lobbying Telstra to establish the emergency ‘000’ number
- introducing intensive coronary care units in hospitals
- new treatments for lowering blood cholesterol and high blood pressure
- pioneering healthier food choices through the Tick program.
While the work over the past five decades has helped reduce the number of deaths, cardiovascular disease remains one of Australia’s most devastating health problems.
As a charity, the Heart Foundation relies on donations and gifts in Wills to continue its lifesaving research, education and health promotion. For further information visit their website or call 1300 36 27 87.