Canteen’s services also now extend to parents, because when they cope better with cancer and communicate openly, their children are likely to experience less distress and anxiety.
All support services are underpinned by Canteen’s research and evaluation team who conduct world-class psychosocial research with the ultimate goal of transforming the lives of young people impacted by cancer.
Vision and mission
Canteen's mission is be in the corner of every young person when cancer crashes into their world.
Canteen was set up by a group of young cancer patients in 1985 and is one of Australia's leading cancer organisations where young people still guide the organisation at every level.
How Canteen can help
Canteen supports young people to:
- Connect with peers in similar situations through programs and recreation days;
- Understand what cancer means by providing access to free information and resources;
- Access online and face-to-face counselling;
- Join a 24/7 online support community of peers via Canteen Connect; and
- If they’ve been diagnosed themselves, it provides Youth Cancer Services which are specialised treatment and support services based in major hospitals throughout Australia.
Canteen supports parents through:
- Parenting through Cancer, an online community where parents impacted by cancer can get free expert advice, counselling and the chance to connect with others in similar situations.
- Counselling services where counsellors and psychologists can help parents manage their own mental health and support them through the parenting challenges cancer can bring.
- Resources that provide practical advice and tips for parents impacted by cancer on communicating and supporting their children through cancer.
- Our Parenting through Illness webinar series which provides family cancer support in the form of practical tools, strategies, resources and services for parents impacted by a significant illness.
How to access support
Connecting yourself or someone you know or work with to specialist support from Canteen is easy. Fill in the short online form and someone will be in touch within 48 hours to discuss support options.
Canteen Connect is a secure, online community available 24/7 where young people impacted by cancer can connect with others in a similar situation, check out events around the country or online and chat to a counsellor.