This page contains a text version of a How to wear a cloth mask safely infographic.
How to wear a cloth mask safely.
- Inspect the mask for any holes or dirt
- Adjust the mask to your face so it fits snugly
- Cover your nose and mouth
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth at all times
- Remove the mask by the strings or ear loops
- Store the mask in a plastic, resealable bag until you can wash it
- Wash your hands before and after you wear your cloth mask
- Make sure your mask does not have a valve. This can result in breathing out a virus if you are infected
The recommendation to wear a face mask does not apply to children, individuals with breathing difficulties, and those who have physical conditions that make it difficult to wear a mask.
Learn more here about the development and quality assurance of healthdirect content.
Last reviewed: March 2023