Healthdirect Free Australian health advice you can count on.

Medical problem? Call 1800 022 222. If you need urgent medical help, call triple zero immediately

healthdirect Australia is a free service where you can talk to a nurse or doctor who can help you know what to do.

beginning of content

Help to remain living at home if you have a chronic disease or serious illness

6-minute read

If you have a chronic disease or a serious illness, it is worth thinking about the steps you can take to continue living at home. This page offers information about accessing home help and making home modifications.

Who needs home-based care?

Anyone with a chronic or terminal illness, or who is frail or elderly, but who wishes to remain at home is likely to need some help.

Every condition has its own particular issues, but you might need:

  • home modifications (like a stair lift), if you have a condition like motor neurone disease
  • an emergency call system if you are elderly and have frequent falls
  • a meal delivery service (such as Meals on Wheels) if you are unable to cook
  • signs or pictures to help you remember tasks if you have dementia

Why plan for home-based care?

Planning can help ensure that you get the care and treatment you prefer. With many conditions, you can remain relatively independent and make your own decisions. If you plan well, it is easy to make changes as your situation changes.

However, if you have a degenerative condition such as dementia, it is wise to prepare for when you are no longer capable of running your own affairs.

Depending on your situation, you might need to:

  • organise for a home carer (a partner, relative, volunteer or paid carer)
  • get regular help with bathing, going to the toilet, dressing and other self-care tasks
  • have a nurse visit you at home to provide services such as changing dressings or managing incontinence
  • organise help with household tasks such as cleaning, shopping and gardening
  • do advance care planning, so you can tell others what care and treatment options you want if you are no longer able to communicate or are dying
  • appoint a substitute legal decision-maker through an enduring power of attorney

What should I consider?

Home modifications

Home modifications can allow you to remain independent and prevent injuries. For example, if you are in a wheelchair you might need to widen doorways, relocate light switches, lower a kitchen benchtop or install ramps.

Essential medical treatment

If you need medical treatment or other appointments, ask about the best way to meet with your health practitioners. They might be able to visit and treat you at home. You might also be able to have an appointment via phone or video call, using telehealth. You can find out more on the Australian Digital Health Agency website.

Subsidised transport services are also available to take you to doctors’ or hospital appointments.

Medical equipment at home

You might need special equipment to manage your condition.

For example, if you:

  • have kidney failure, you could perform dialysis at home with a free haemodialysis machine
  • have a chronic lung condition, you might be prescribed home oxygen therapy, which may be subsidised by the Australian Government
  • have trouble walking, you might need a frame or a wheelchair
  • have trouble speaking, you might need specialist equipment such as a speech generating device

The Care Gateway has information on financial support for aids and equipment.

Plan for unexpected power outages

If you rely on electrically-powered essential medical equipment, then plan for possible power outages.

The first step is to register as a ‘life support customer’ with your electricity provider.

Once registered, they will notify you in advance of intended power outages. You also need to have a plan in place for unexpected blackouts.

To avoid problems with electricity blackouts:

  • ensure you have backup medical equipment fully charged at all times
  • list emergency numbers, including your doctor, hospital and someone nearby to assist you if the power goes out

Find out more about energy and essential medical equipment from the Australian Energy Regulator.

Emergency call systems

An emergency call system linked to a telephone can be used to raise the alarm if something goes wrong. There are different types of emergency call systems, such as a transmitter, worn around your neck, that can activate the call system if you fall or need help.

Find out more about different types of emergency call services or phone the Independent Living Centres Advisory Service on 1300 885 886.

People with life-threatening medical conditions can register with their telecommunications company as a priority customer. Telstra is the only carrier required to provide this service. Other companies may choose to provide it. Contact Telstra for information on how to register for its priority service.

Keeping a key with a neighbour

It is worthwhile keeping a key with a neighbour or with a relative who lives nearby. That way, if you need help but can't get to the door, emergency services should be able to get in.

Where can you get funding?

Home care services subsidies

You might be eligible for government subsidies towards home care services, including personal care services, allied health support and limited nursing. Subsidies are available through:

  • National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) aims to give people with permanent disabilities personal care and support. Call 1800 800 110 for mor information.
  • Home Care Packages provide a package of support, including personal care, nursing care, food services and allied health support services to meet the needs of Australians over the age of 65 and some younger people with disabilities.
  • Commonwealth Home Support Programme provides entry-level home support and subsidises essential home modifications for people 65 years or older (50 years or older for Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people), or 50 years or older (45 years or older for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people) and on a low income, homeless, or at risk of being homeless.

State and territory governments also provide subsidised home help schemes. For more information, see help at home.

Medical equipment and supplies subsidies

You might be eligible for small additional government subsidies for medical equipment and supplies.

  • Essential Medical Equipment Payment provides a small amount (currently $164 a year for medically required heating or cooling, and each piece of qualifying essential medical equipment).
  • Continence Aids Payment Scheme currently provides up to $635.10 per person per year towards buying continence products for people with permanent and severe incontinence.

Other help

Charities and organisations that deal with particular conditions or types of disability, such as Vision Australia and the Cancer Council, might also offer assistance.

Learn more here about the development and quality assurance of healthdirect content.

Last reviewed: May 2021

Back To Top

Need more information?

These trusted information partners have more on this topic.

Top results

Caring for someone with an ongoing illness | Carers SA

Read more on Carers SA website

Carers Tasmania - Coping with an Ongoing Illness

Caring for someone with an ongoing or chronic illness such as dementia, cancer or heart disease can be challenging and emotionally draining due to the uncertainty of the situation. Carers Tasmania can help.

Read more on Carers TAS website

Caring for someone with an illness or disability - Services Australia

You can get financial help and other services if you care for someone with a disability, an illness or who is frail aged.

Read more on Centrelink website

What is diabetes | Diabetes Australia

Diabetes is a serious and chronic condition where there is too much glucose in the blood. The body can't make insulin, enough insulin or is not effectively

Read more on Diabetes Australia website

Caring for someone with advanced cancer - Cancer Council Victoria

Caring for someone with advanced cancer can feel overwhelming as the cancer is unlikely to be cured.

Read more on Cancer Council Victoria website

Life after Sepsis - Australian Sepsis Network

Many people who survive severe sepsis recover completely and their lives return to normal

Read more on Australian Sepsis Network website

Caring For Someone with Cancer - Cancer Council Victoria

Read our guide for caring for someone with cancer by managing your own physical & emotional needs.

Read more on Cancer Council Victoria website

Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) - Better Health Channel

Myalgic encephalomyelitis, commonly known as chronic fatigue syndrome, can affect people of any age, including children.

Read more on Better Health Channel website

Caring for someone nearing the end of life - Cancer Council Victoria

Information and support for carers of people dying with cancer.

Read more on Cancer Council Victoria website

Changes Over Time - Living with Illness - Patients and Carers - Community

What to expect with a life-limiting illness. As your illness progresses there will be changes. This will include changes in your treatment and care.

Read more on CareSearch website

Healthdirect 24hr 7 days a week hotline

24 hour health advice you can count on

1800 022 222

Government Accredited with over 140 information partners

We are a government-funded service, providing quality, approved health information and advice

Australian Government, health department logo ACT Government logo New South Wales government, health department logo Northen Territory Government logo Government of South Australia, health department logo Tasmanian government logo Victorian government logo Government of Western Australia, health department logo

Healthdirect Australia acknowledges the Traditional Owners of Country throughout Australia and their continuing connection to land, sea and community. We pay our respects to the Traditional Owners and to Elders both past and present.