People with Asperger’s syndrome find it hard to communicate and interact with other people. Often, they will:
- struggle to express themselves
- find it hard to understand others
- find it hard to make friends
- find it hard to work out what others might be thinking
- find it hard to use their imagination
People with Asperger’s syndrome often:
- stick rigidly to a routine or repeat certain behaviours
- focus intense interest on one particular topic
- are sensitive to bright light or loud sounds
You can’t tell whether someone has Asperger’s syndrome simply from how they look.
Learn more here about the development and quality assurance of healthdirect content.
Last reviewed: November 2016