People with Asperger’s syndrome find it hard to communicate and interact with other people. Often, they will:
- struggle to express themselves
- find it hard to understand others
- find it hard to make friends
- find it hard to work out what others might be thinking
- find it hard to use their imagination.
People with Asperger’s syndrome often:
- stick rigidly to a routine or repeat certain behaviours
- focus intense interest on one particular topic
- are sensitive to bright light or loud sounds.
You can’t tell whether someone has Asperger’s syndrome simply from how they look.
Last reviewed: November 2016