Healthdirect Free Australian health advice you can count on.

Medical problem? Call 1800 022 222. If you need urgent medical help, call triple zero immediately

healthdirect Australia is a free service where you can talk to a nurse or doctor who can help you know what to do.

beginning of content

Sexual assault support

2-minute read

Being raped or sexually assaulted is an extremely distressing experience. Everyone reacts differently, and your feelings tend to change over time, or even day-to-day.

It is normal to go through a range of emotions including:

  • shock and denial
  • fear
  • not being able to talk about the assault
  • worries about being judged
  • anxiety
  • not being able to relax
  • depression
  • feeling guilty
  • low self-esteem
  • feeling isolated
  • having nightmares and flashbacks
  • mood swings
  • loss of confidence and trust in others.

What's important to remember is that if you've been the victim of a sexual assault or rape, it was not your fault.

You may feel that you need some help getting over what has happened, even if it is just someone to talk to.

A close friend or family member may be the best person to confide in, or you may prefer to talk to someone you don't know, such as a counsellor or a support group. Your doctor’s surgery should be able to give you the contact numbers for support groups in your area.

If you are experiencing anxiety or symptoms of depression you should see your doctor who can offer you support and advice. They can refer you to a counsellor, and may also provide any treatment you need.

Remember, you can seek help either directly after the assault, or in the following days, months or years. There is no time limit. Trust your instincts. It is not OK for someone to make you have sex against your will.

You can call the confidential 24-hour 1800 RESPECT line for more advice.

Find out more about sexual assault and abuse helplines.

Not sure what to do next?

If you are still concerned about your sexual assault support, check your symptoms with healthdirect’s online Symptom Checker to get advice on when to seek medical attention.

The Symptom Checker guides you to the next appropriate healthcare steps, whether it’s self care, talking to a health professional, going to a hospital or calling triple zero (000).

Learn more here about the development and quality assurance of healthdirect content.

Last reviewed: October 2017

Back To Top

Need more information?

These trusted information partners have more on this topic.

Top results

Sexual assault support | Abuse and violence | ReachOut Australia

If youve been sexually assaulted, you can and should get professional support. Figure out the right kind of support for you now at

Read more on website

Sexual assault referral centres - NT.GOV.AU

Sexual assault referral centres can give you support if you have experienced sexual assault.

Read more on NT Health website

What is sexual assault? | Abuse and violence | ReachOut Australia

As a victim, understanding how to define sexual assault is key to getting the support and help you need. Learn more at

Read more on website

Sexual Assault Resource Centre (SARC)

SARC provides a 24-hour emergency service in metropolitan Perth, Western Australia providing; medical care, forensic examination and counselling support to people who have been sexually assaulted within the previous 14 days.

Read more on WA Health website

Recovering from sexual assault

Sexual assault happens to women and men of all ages and from all walks of life. You can be sexually assaulted in your home, at your workplace or on the street. A trusted friend, a close relative or a complete stranger can assault you. There is no such thing as a typical sexual assault.

Read more on WA Health website

Sexual assault information for men

There are specific issues that affect men who have been sexually assaulted or abused.

Read more on WA Health website

Child sexual assault: protecting your child -

Child sexual assault: how to protect your child (including online); signs of child sexual assault; and what to do if you suspect child sexual assault.

Read more on myDr website

When someone close to you has been sexually assaulted

A sexual assault can have a devastating impact on you and on the family unit.

Read more on WA Health website

What to do if you want to report sexual assault to the police

You may decide you want to report the sexual assault or sexual abuse to the police. This is an individual decision which only you can make.

Read more on WA Health website

Sexual Assault Resource Centre (SARC) counselling questions

SARC provides counselling from outreach centres throughout the Perth metropolitan area. Sometimes there is a short delay before you will be offered your first appointment

Read more on WA Health website

Healthdirect 24hr 7 days a week hotline

24 hour health advice you can count on

1800 022 222

Government Accredited with over 140 information partners

We are a government-funded service, providing quality, approved health information and advice

Australian Government, health department logo ACT Government logo New South Wales government, health department logo Northen Territory Government logo Government of South Australia, health department logo Tasmanian government logo Government of Western Australia, health department logo