If you have a knock, bump or bruise there are a number of things you can do to help manage the condition. Here is some self-help information:
- for a knock, bump or bruise, apply a cold compress (ice pack) at once
- an ice pack may relieve swelling but should not be placed directly against the skin
- if you are in pain, get advice on medicines you can take
- visit your local pharmacy for advice on additional products you can use to relieve the symptoms.
Call healthdirect on 1800 022 222 for advice if:
- your symptoms get worse
- you develop new symptoms
- you become increasingly concerned.
Not sure what to do next?
If you are still concerned about your bump, knock or bruise, check your symptoms with healthdirect’s online Symptom Checker to get advice on when to seek medical attention.
The Symptom Checker guides you to the next appropriate healthcare steps, whether it’s self care, talking to a health professional, going to a hospital or calling triple zero (000).
Last reviewed: July 2015