Watch this brief video explaining the process and inception of the healthdirect Symptom Checker - a tool that guides you to the appropriate healthcare action.
healthdirect’s online Symptom Checker guides you to the appropriate healthcare action: if you need to see a doctor or go to your nearest hospital or emergency department. It helps you understand symptoms and possible signs of illness, causes and complications.
The healthdirect Symptom Checker is not a:
- diagnostic tool
- substitute for professional health care
- an alternative to seeing a GP.
With the Symptom Checker you can:
- understand your options – advice on the next healthcare steps, whether it’s self care, talking to a health professional, going to a hospital or calling triple zero (000)
- find local health services – information on healthcare professionals in your area using the National Health Services Directory (NHSD)
- assess your symptoms – help explaining and clarifying possible causes related to signs and symptoms, such as aches, pain and rashes
- learn more about your symptoms – links to further information about your symptoms, and possible causes, from trusted Australian healthcare organisations.
If you think you have a medical emergency, immediately call your doctor or dial triple zero (000).
Did you know that…
- over 80% of Australians seek health information online – the majority are looking for information about diseases and symptoms
- close to 40% of Australians look for health information for self-treatment online.*
With so many people accessing health information online it's important that the information they are accessing is safe, relevant and trustworthy, which is why we have developed the healthdirect Symptom Checker.
* Market research conducted by Objective Digital in June 2013.
Last reviewed: August 2014