They provide support services, resources and deliver training, as well as share evidence to influence and shape policy. They are committed to improving the social, emotional and physical health and wellbeing of women throughout their lives. Gender equality is essential to achieve this and underpins everything they do.
Their work is informed by a feminist approach to health promotion and the social determinants of health.
Priority areas include:
- Sexual and reproductive health
- Prevention of violence against women
- Women and cancer
- Mental health and body image
- Women’s equality
Our Direct Services:
- Counterpart – Women supporting women with cancer
- 1800 My Options – For information about contraception, pregnancy options and sexual health
- Take a Stand Against Domestic Violence: It’s Everyone’s Business
- Training on gender equity and prevention of violence against women
- The Victorian Women’s Health Atlas
- WHV Library
- Transvaginal Mesh
What they do:
- Promote women’s equality through research translation, communication, policy advice and advocacy. Through their evidence based research they produce issues papers, disseminate knowledge and engage with decision-makers.
- Promote women’s mental health and positive body image with projects such as the Labia Library a unique, world-first resource with information advice and photographs to raise awareness about natural genital diversity and support positive body image for women worldwide.
- Support women living with cancer including Counterpart peer support service for women with cancer. A unique statewide support service for women affected by cancer, also their partners, families and friends.
- Provide sexual and reproductive health supports such as 1800 My Options - information about contraception, pregnancy options and sexual health.
- Deliver workforce capacity building training and forums to support workplaces and professionals to apply a gendered lens to systems, policy and service delivery. This includes Take a Stand, Their workplace program for the prevention of violence against women.
- Deliver up to date data on key women’s health indicators through the Women’s Health Atlas to support advocacy, service delivery and policy making across Victoria.
Women’s Health Victoria acknowledges the support of the Victorian Government.