Advance care planning involves planning for your future health care. It enables you to make some decisions now about the health care you would or would not like to receive if you were to become seriously ill and unable to make or communicate treatment decisions. Advance care planning helps to ensure your loved ones and health providers know and respect your treatment preferences.
Advance Care Planning Australia encourages everyone to have a conversation with their loved ones and health care professionals about their preferences. You may also wish to document your preferences in an advance care directive.
Vision and mission
Advance care planning is a heartfelt conversation and a personal statement that goes beyond filling in a form. It’s a commitment to honour and respect an individual’s values, beliefs and choices.
Advance care planning discussions become a key part of routine health care conversations across Australia.
How Advance Care Planning Australia can help
Advance Care Planning Australia offers a variety of resources and services to individuals as well as health services and care providers.
For individuals and families:
- Online resources to help individuals and families understand advance care planning, and how to start the conversation
- Online resources and forms to help individuals and families create their plan
- Free National Support Service phone line
- Free online modules to improve knowledge around advance care planning
For health service and care providers:
- Online resources tailored for different health and care-based professions
- Training and education including online webinars and information sessions
- Free advance care planning referral service for clients
- Free e-newsletter to assist health professionals and care workers stay up-to-date with current advance care planning news and events
Information lines / help lines
- Call the free National Support Service on 1300208582 Mon to Fri, 9am - 5pm AEST