healthdirect provides easy access to trusted, quality health information and advice online and over the phone. It is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, to help you make informed choices anywhere, any time.
How to access healthdirect
- By phone on 1800 022 222*: For expert advice from a registered nurse.
- Browse this website: For quality online health information from trusted sources.
Funded by the governments of Australia, healthdirect does not replace your doctor or the Triple Zero (000) emergency service, and does not provide any diagnosis – only advice and information.
Call healthdirect on 1800 022 222*
If it’s not an emergency, but you need health advice, call healthdirect and speak to a registered nurse. They will give you expert advice on how to manage your condition at home.
The nurse can also connect you to an emergency service if necessary, or to the after hours GP helpline for further medical advice in the evenings and on weekends.
The healthdirect helpline is available throughout all Australian states and territories except Victoria and Queensland.
For those that require assistance:
- If you have a speech or hearing impairment, call the National Relay Service on 1800 555 677 and ask to be transferred to healthdirect.
- If you need an interpreter, call TIS National on 131 450 and ask to be transferred to healthdirect.
If it is an emergency
Call Triple Zero (000) immediately if you think you need an ambulance.
Use this website
This website, previously known as healthinsite, has merged with healthdirect to give you a better path to making informed decisions about your health; from searching for trusted health information online to calling a registered nurse for further advice.
All the information on our websites undergoes a quality assurance review process, and is sourced from a range of trusted partners including major health organisations. You can quickly search for a topic, or look into specific areas in more detail, such as:
- managing conditions and diseases,
- coping with life stages,
- personal stories,
- general advice on health and wellbeing.
*Calls from landlines are free, mobile charges may apply.