Their mission is to:
- reduce the incidence of unnecessary examinations which may expose patients to risk without benefit, including the risks from ionising radiation and of false-positive results
- increase the incidence of appropriate examinations which result in cost-effective diagnosis.
The Diagnostic Imaging Pathways (DIP) website contains a range of other related information including information for consumers (patients and their carers).
Key initiatives include:
- achieving better implementation by embedding guidance into the clinical workflow in particular by replacing paper-based processes of referral with an electronic system with links to recommendations in DIP
- building on DIP and the Manual published by the Royal College of Pathologists of Australasia in developing a fully integrated evidence-based and consensus based educational and decision support tool for diagnostic imaging and pathology referrals
- developing online modules for case-based interdisciplinary education incorporating available quality resources and web-based social media.