All support services are underpinned by Canteen’s research and evaluation team who conduct world-class psychosocial research with the ultimate goal of transforming the lives of young people impacted by cancer.
Vision and mission
To be in the corner of every young person when cancer crashes into their world.
Canteen works by having young people at the centre of everything they do. Combined with leading edge research into the emotional and social impacts of cancer, it ensures that Canteen truly understands how cancer is different in a young person’s world.
How Canteen can help
Canteen helps young people:
- connect with peers in similar situations through programs and recreation days;
- understand what cancer means by providing access to free information and resources;
- access online and face-to-face counselling;
- join a 24/7 online support community of peers via Canteen Connect; and
- if they’ve been diagnosed themselves, it provides Youth Cancer Services which are specialised treatment and support services based in major hospitals throughout Australia.
It has also expanded support to parents impacted by cancer via Canteen Connect for Parents.
Information / help lines
Canteen Connect provides support options and access to counselling through online chat, phone and email seven days a week. Go to www.canteenconnect.org or call 1800 835 932 for immediate support.