There are usually no signs or symptoms in the early stages of lung cancer. However, symptoms develop as the disease progresses.
The main symptoms of lung cancer are listed below. If you have any of these, see your doctor:
- a new or changed cough that does not go away
- persistent chest infections
- coughing up blood; this is called 'haemoptysis'
- unexplained persistent wheezing or breathlessness
- unexplained persistent tiredness or lack of energy
- unexplained persistent weight loss or loss of appetite
- persistent chest or shoulder pain
- bronchitis or pneumonia that keeps coming back.
Last reviewed: November 2017