Patients are assessed physically and emotionally for their suitability for surgery, and to plan appropriately for discharge.
Steps taken to ensure a smooth admitting process on the day of admission include:
• Pre-registration for admission
• Nursing and medical histories, anaesthetic screening and pharmacy interviews
• Consent form signed
• Education regarding procedure and anaesthetic
• Appropriate testing and review of results eg. ECG, radiology or pathology screening
• for discharge requirements, necessary referrals initiated and advice on preparation for discharge.